Tuesday 23 October 2007

Insecurities?

For the past week, i was pondering about the word insecurity. Why do we feel insecure? What must we do to overcome them? Is this an emotion that will stuck with us for our whole life?

As i was thinking through, i felt God remind me the first time man felt insecure. That was in the garden of Eden. Both Adam and Eve had transgressed God's commandment and were afraid. So they hid themselves in the bush. I believe running through their minds were thoughts such as "What if God won't accept me anymore? What if God punishes me and kills me? What is going to happen to me? What if i had said no earlier?... The list could just go on and on and on..."

I realized that the premise for insecurity is based upon two words. "What if" Insecurity plagues us when we start to worry about what would happen to us; many times, we allow our negative feelings to cloud our sense of judgment. Instead of looking at reality, we choose to look at despair. Very often, worries and despair really do not happen. Research has shown that most of our fears are actually unfounded.

Let me bring it across now. For example, "What if, my parents will hit me when i confess?" "What if i cannot serve in ministry anymore? When they find out about my weakness?"

I believe at the point where Adam sinned, if he choose to confess to God, rather than to hide in the bushes, things might have turned out quite differently today. Maybe, they might not have been driven out from the Garden of Eden. While yes, it would all seem to be imaginary possibilities, we can only find out the answer when we get to heaven. But the thing is this, when we realise that our fears are usually unfounded, and that in Christ, EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT.

Rom 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

If everything is going to be alright, then what do you need to be afraid of?What do you need to feel insecure about? If today you struggle with insecurities, why dont you put your trust in God? He will never let you down!